Biographical entry Womersley, Hugh Bryan Spencer (1922 - 2011)
- 19 November, 1922
- 16 January 2011
Bryan Womersley spent his entire career at the University of Adelaide, retiring in 1987 as Professor of Botany. His interests included the marine plant biology of southern Australia.
Born Bristol, England, 19 November 1922. Educated University of Adelaide (BSc (hons) 1945, MSc 1947, PhD 1952, DSc 1960). Lecturer, Department of Botany, University of Adelaide 1946-49, Senior Lecturer 1950-60, Reader 1961-73, Professor (Personal Chair) 1974-87, Honorary Visiting Research Fellow 1988- , Honorary Curator, University of Adelaide 1964- . Edgeworth David Medal, Royal Society of New South Wales 1955; Verco Medal, Royal Society of South Australia 1969; Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1977; Prescott Award, Phycological Society of America; Clarke Medal, Royal Society of New South Wales 1985; Mueller Medal, Australian and New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science 1986. President, Royal Society of South Australia 1966-67; Chairman, Herbarium Liaison Committee, South Australia 1958-61; Board of Governors, Botanic Garden, South Australia 1961- ; President, International Phycological Society 1970.
- Baldock, R. and Shepherd, S. A., 'H B S Womersley (1922-2011)', Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia, vol. 135, no. 1, 2011, p. 111. Details
- Kraft, Gerald T., 'In Memoriam: tribute to Professor Hugh Bryan Spencer Womersley (19 November 1922-16 January 2011)', Phycologia, vol. 50, 2011, pp. 439-41. Details
- Woelkerling, Bill, 'Hugh Bryan Spencer Womersley (19 November 1922 - 16 January 2011)', Australasian Society for Phycology and Aquatic Botany Newsletter, vol. 29, no. 1, 2011, p. 9. Details
- Woelkerling, W. J. and Borowitzka, M. A., 'A 75th birthday tribute to H. B. S. Womersley', Botanica Marina, vol. 41, no. 1, 1998, pp. 1-5. Details
- Womersley, H. B. S., 'Obituary: Joseph Garnett Wood', Australian Journal of Science, vol. 22, no. 10, 1960, pp. 407-408. Details
- Womersley, H. Bryan S., 'Life of Bryan', ASPAB Newsletter, vol. 8, no. 1, 1988, pp. 1-10. Details
- Wynne, Michael J., 'To Professor H.B.S. Womersley in honour of his continued contributions to phycology', Botanica Marina, vol. 52, no. 3, 2009, pp. 193-4. Details
Created: 25 May 2001, Last modified: 11 August 2016