Biographical entry Whitten, Wesley Kingston (1918 - 2010)
- 1 August 1918
Macksville, New South Wales, Australia
- 24 May 2010
- Reproductive biologist
Wesley Whitten worked in a variety of laboratories in Canberra before moving to the Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine from 1966-1980. He contributed to the understanding of social and individual aspects of reproductive physiology and behaviour, particularly in respect of mammalian pheromones and in the role of sensual stimuli in regulating the oestrus cycle. In September 2009 the Wes Whitten Building at the Australian National University was opened.
Born Macksville, New South Wales, 1 August 1918. Educated University of Sydney (BVSc (hons) 1939, BSc 1941, DSc 1962). Walter and Eliza Hall Fellow in Veterinary Science 1940-41; Australian Army Veterinary Corps and Australian Army Service Corps Captain 1941-45; Research Officer, CSIRO 1946-49; Director of Animal Breeding and Fellow, John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National University 1950-61; Assistant Director (Endocrine Products), National Biological Standards Laboratory, Canberra 1961-66; Staff Scientist, The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine, USA 1966-69, Senior Staff Scientist 1969-80, Assistant Director (Research) 1971-72; Research Associate, Department of Zoology, University of Tasmania 1980-89; sometime Associated Scientist, CSIRO Wildlife and sometime associate, Cooperative Research Centre for Biological Control of Vertebrate Pest Populations. Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1982; Marshall Medal, Society for the Study of Fertility 1993.
- Shelton, J. N. and McCullagh, P. J., 'Wesley Kingston Whitten 1918-2010', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 22, 2011, pp. 291-303. Details
- 'First vet lends name to building', in ANU News, http://news.anu.edu.au/?p=806. Details
- 'High Honour (Wesley Kingston Whitten)', in Gazette, 12 April 2001, http://www.mun.ca/univrel/gazette/2000-2001/apr12/newspage3.html#anchor122731. Details
- 'Whitten, Wesley Kingston (19180801-20100524)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1475672. Details
- Pryse-Phillips, William, 'Thursday, May 31, 10 a.m. Oration honouring Wesley Whitten', in Gazette, 14 June 2001, http://www.mun.ca/univrel/gazette/2000-2001/june14/convocation8.html. Details
Created: 25 May 2001, Last modified: 24 November 2010