Biographical entry Tucker, Gilbert Brian (Brian) (1930 - 2010)
- 23 October 1930
- 25 November 2010
- Meteorologist and Science administrator
Gilbert Brian (Brian) Tucker was Assistant Director (Research and Development) with the Bureau of Meteorology, 1965-1969 and went on to be Chief of the CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Physics/Research, 1973-1992.
Born Wales, 23 October 1930. BSc, University College of Aberystwyth. DIC. PhD, Imperial College, London. Formerly Principal Scientific Officer of the UK Meteorological Office (1956-1965), Tucker emigrated to Australia in 1965 to take up the position of Assistant Director (Research and Development) with the Bureau of Meteorology. He was Officer-in-Charge, Commonwealth Meteorology Research Centre, 1969-1973, and Chief, CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Physics, 1973-1983, and Chief, CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Research, 1983-1992.
- Anon, 'Brian Tucker, Leader and Mentor', Weather News, vol. 2011, Spring, 2011, pp. 57-8. Details
- Graeme Pearman, 'Scientist with a well-focused weather eye', The Age, Fairfax, Melbourne, 25 February 2011, p. 14. Also available at http://newsstore.theage.com.au/apps/viewDocument.ac?docID=AGE110225LN3CI7MHPMI. Details
- 'Tucker, G B (1930-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-636780. Details
- Ward, C., 'Gilbert Brian Tucker', in CSIROpedia, 2011, https://csiropedia.csiro.au/Tucker-Gilbert-Brian. Details
- Federation and Meteorology, 2001, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/fam/index_t.html. Details
- Garratt, John, Angus, David and Holper, Paul, Winds of Change: Fifty Years of Achievements in the CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Research 1946-1996, CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne, 1998, 136 (148) pp. Details
Created: 10 May 2001, Last modified: 2 August 2011
- Foundation Supporter - National Council for the Centenary of Federation