Biographical entry Powell, Frank Anthony (Tony) (1924 - )
- 30 December 1924
Frank Anthony (Tony) Powell worked for the Bureau of Meteorology for 39 years, and was Regional Director, Victoria, 1980-1988, specialising in agrometeorology.
Born 30 December 1924. Educated: St Patrick's College and St Kevin's College (Victoria). BSc, University of Melbourne. Joined Bureau of Meteorology in 1949, undertaking weather forecasting duties in Melbourne, working in the Central Analysis office, followed by several years in the South Australian Regional Office. Returned to Victorian Regional Office in 1957 and moved to Head Office in 1966, where he spent three years as a member of the Research Cooperative Studies Branch, the Agromet and Applied Met Section and later in Techniques Application in the Services Division. Supervising Meteorologist, Regional Office, Victoria, 1971. Churchill Fellowship, 1974. Supervising [or Superintendent?] Meteorologist, Special Projects Section, Research and Development branch, 1978. Regional Director, Victoria, 1980-1988. Involved for many years on World Meteorological Organization activities as Australia's representative on the Commission for Agricultural Meteorology.
- 'Tony Powell New RD Victoria', Weather News, vol. 248, March 1980, 1980. Details
- 'Grass Looks Greener for Tony', Weather News, vol. 286, May 1988, 1988, pp. 24-26. Details
- 'Powell, Frank Anthony (1924-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1475955. Details
- Federation and Meteorology, 2001, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/fam/index_p.html. Details
Created: 10 May 2001, Last modified: 25 May 2006
- Foundation Supporter - National Council for the Centenary of Federation