Biographical entry Ragless, Gordon (1909 - 2002)
- 2 June 1909
Edwardstown, South Australia, Australia
Gordon Ragless collected egg series - clutches of eggs from the same bird over different seasons - and was able to show that Wedge-tailed Eagles were capable of breeding for at least 30 years, though the eggs themselves diminished in size over time.
In 1999 Ragless donated his collection to the Australian National Wildlife Collection. It contained over five thousand sets of eggs representing around 90% of Australia's breeding bird species.
Born ca 1910. President, South Australian Ornithological Association 1957-60, Honorary Member 1985. Donated major egg collection to the Australian National Wildlife Collection, CSIRO 1999.
- Ragless, G. B., 'Frank Elliot Parsons, 1882-1968', South Australian Ornithologist, vol. 25, no. 4, 1969, pp. 107-108. Details
- 'Precious eggs find new nest with CSIRO', CSIRO, 26 July 1999, http://www.csiro.au/files/mediarelease/mr1999/PreciousEggs.htm. Details
- Eckhert, J., 'Obituary: Gordon Beaumont Ragless 1909-2002', vol. 34, Birds SA, August 2002, http://www.birdssa.asn.au/SAOpdf/Volume%2034/2002V34P031.pdf. Details
- 'Ragless, G B (1910-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-565247. Details
- Robin, Libby, The Flight of the Emu: a Hundred Years of Australian Ornithology 1901-2001, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 2001, 492 pp. Details
Created: 19 April 2001, Last modified: 4 October 2011
- Foundation Supporter - Birds Australia