Biographical entry Blackwood, Robert Rutherford (1906 - 1982)
FIE Aust, LL.D.
- 3 June 1906
South Yarra, Victoria, Australia
- 21 August 1982
Brighton, Victoria, Australia
Sir Robert Blackwood was Chancellor of Monash University 1961-1968 and Chairman of Dunlop Australia Ltd 1972-1979. He was President of the Royal Society of Victoria 1973-1974.
Born 3 June 1906. Testing officer, School of Engineering, University of Melbourne 1928-30. Lecturer in Agricultural Engineering, University of Melbourne 1930-33. Research engineer, 1933-36, Technical Manager, 1937-46, and General Manager 1948-66, Dunlop Rubber Aust. Ltd, Melbourne. Professor of Mechanical Engineering, University of Melbourne 1947-48. Chairman, Interim CI 1958-61. Chancellor of Monash University 1961-68. Trustee, National Museum Victoria 1964-78. Chairman, Dunlop Australia Ltd 1972-79. President, Royal Society of Victoria 1973-74. Knighted 1961. Wrote Monash University: the First Ten Years, 1968.
- Rae, I. D., 'Blackwood, Sir Robert Rutherford (1906-1982)', in Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 17, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 2007. Also available at http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/blackwood-sir-robert-rutherford-12219. Details
- Sir Robert Rutherford Blackwood (3 July 1906 - 21 August 1982), Monash University, 2011, http://monash.edu.au/mapa/venues/rbch/blackwood.html. Details
- 'Blackwood, Robert (1906-1982)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-458693. Details
- Blackwood, Robert R. Portrait
Created: 24 August 2000, Last modified: 9 March 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Royal Society of Victoria