Biographical entry Hendry, James (c. 1887 - 1950)
- c. 1887
- 19 October 1950
- Pharmaceutical manufacturer
James Hendry was Works Manager for A.M. Bickford & Sons Ltd, Adelaide from 1914 and a member of the board from 1943-1950. He enjoyed designing mechanical devices to assist in production and was responsible for several mechanical patents granted to the Company.
Born Banchory, near Aberdeen, Scotland, ca. 1887. Died 19 October 1950. Educated by apprenticeship as a pharmacist. Local pharmacy, Peter Squire's pharmacy, San Remo, John Bell's pharmacy, London, pharmacist and analyst, A.M. Bickford & Sons Ltd, Adelaide 1912-14, Works Manager 1914-16, private, Australian Imperial Force 1916, pathological laboratory, Keswick Hospital 1916, chief chemist, T.N.T. section, H.M. Factory, Queensferry 1917-18, sulphite purification section 1918-19, Works Manager, A.M. Bickford & Sons Ltd. 1919-43, Technical Adviser, Drug Houses of Australia Ltd 1930-50, board, A.M. Bickford & Sons Ltd 1943-50. President, South Australian Branch, Royal Australian Chemical Institute 1924-25.
Created: 4 September 1997, Last modified: 2 March 2018