Biographical entry Kaye, Harry R. (1884? - 1960)
- 2 October 1960
Harry Kaye worked for Cuming Smith & Co. for over 50 years from 1898 and was a foundation member of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute. He was educated at the Working Men's College in Melbourne and was employed as a junior laboratory assistant with Cuming Smith & Co. in their Yarraville plant (1898-1906). In 1907 he was then promoted to assistant supervisor over sulphuric acid, hydrochloric acid and other chemical plants in Port Melbourne from 1907. He returned to Yarraville when the Port Melbourne plant closed down following the amalgamation of Cuming Smith & Co. with other companies to form Commonwealth Fertilisers and Chemicals Limited. Kaye was responsible for the Contact Sulphuric Acid plant, acid sales and associated chemical plants until his retirement in 1949.
Created: 30 June 1997, Last modified: 5 March 2018