Biographical entry Masson, Mary (1862 - 1945)
- 11 July 1862
- 25 September 1945
Armadale, Victoria, Australia
- Community service
(Lady) Mary Masson was the wife of Sir David Orme Masson, Professor of Chemistry at the University of Melbourne from 1886 to 1923. She was active in university affairs and her memory is honoured at the university by the Lady Masson Memorial Lecture, which is given every 2-3 years.
CBE 1918. Active in university society at the University of Melbourne and in community service. Foundation member of the Victoria League 1908, the New Settlers' League 1921 and the Country Women's Association of Victoria 1928. President of the University branch of the Australian Red Cross Society 1914-19. Regularly attended meetings of the University Chemical Society. Her memory is honoured at the University of Melbourne by the Lady Masson Memorial Lecture.
- Award - Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE)
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- McCarthy, Gavan; Morgan, Helen; Smith, Ailie; van den Bosch, Alan, Where are the Women in Australian Science?, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, 2003, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/wisa/wisa.html. Details
- Weickhardt, L. W., 'Masson, Sir David Orme (1858-1937), Chemist, Professor and Man of Science', in Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle (eds), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 10, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1986, pp. 432-435. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A100424b.htm. Details
- Flesch, Juliet and McPhee, Peter, '150 Years, 150 Stories: Masson Family', Uni News, vol. 12, no. 10, 2003, p. 4. Details
- 'Masson, Mary (1862-1945), Biographical Entry', in Australian Women's Archives Project, National Foundation for Australian Women, 2002, http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/IMP0109b.htm. Details
- 'Masson, Mary (1862-1945)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-754075. Details
- Flesch, Juliet and McPhee, Peter, 150 years, 150 stories: brief biographies of one hundred and fifty remarkable people associated with the University of Melbourne, Department of History, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, 2003, 168 pp. Details
Created: 30 June 1997, Last modified: 25 July 2006