Biographical entry Hunt, Henry Ambrose (1866 - 1946)
- 7 February 1866
- 7 February 1946
Elwood, Victoria, Australia
- Meteorologist and Science administrator
Henry Ambrose Hunt was the first Commonwealth Meteorologist of the Bureau of Meteorology (1907-1931), and co-authored, along with E.T. Quayle and T. Griffith Taylor, the first text-book on Australian meteorology, Climate and Weather of Australia, 1913.
Hunt began his meteorological career as an assistant to H. C. Russell in Sydney. He had already won an international prize for his work on the Southerly Buster when appointed as Australia's first Commonwealth Meteorologist in 1907. He was immediately despatched on a world trip to assess the latest developments in meteorology. Although he provided outstanding scientific leadership to the early Bureau, he fought a long and difficult battle through the period of the First World War and the Great Depression to obtain the resources needed to build the networks and scientific basis for Australia's meteorological services. A Hundred Years of Science and Service, Bureau of Meteorology, 2001.
- Walsh, G. P., 'Hunt, Henry Ambrose (1866-1946), Meteorologist', in Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle (eds), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 9, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1983, p. 405. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A090401b.htm. Details
- Hunt, Henry Ambrose, 'Wind Data Recorder (Exhibit)', Proceedings of the Victorian Institute of Engineers vol. X, 1910, pp. 149-153. Also available at http://hdl.handle.net/11343/24454. Details
- 'Hunt, Henry Ambrose', in Physics in Australia to 1945, R.W. Home, with the assistance of Paula J. Needham, Australian Science Archives Project, June 1995, http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/bsparcs/physics/P002230p.htm. Details
- 'Hunt, Henry Ambrose (1866-1946)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1466531. Details
- Federation and Meteorology, 2001, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/fam/index_h.html. Details
- Henry Ambrose Hunt
- Bureau of Meteorology
Created: 29 June 1995, Last modified: 4 July 2012
- Foundation Supporter - National Council for the Centenary of Federation