Biographical entry Simmonds, Wilfred John (1918 - 1990)
- 29 November 1918
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
- 29 March 1990
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
- Physiologist and Pathologist
Wilfred Simmonds was Professor of Physiology, University of Western Australia 1957-1983. Earlier he had worked at the Kanematsu Memorial Institute of Pathology 1950-1956 and was the Nuffield Dominions Demonstrator in Physiology at Oxford 1947-1950. He investigated fat absorption from the gastrointestinal tract.
Born Brisbane, 29 November 1918. Died Perth, 29 March 1990. Educated Universities of Queensland (BSc 1940, MB, BS 1942) and Oxford (DPhil 1949). Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Physicians 1969. Demonstrator in Physiology, University of Queensland 1939, Lecturer in Physiology (part-time), University of Queensland 1941; Flight Lieutenant, RAAF Medical Services 1942-46, undertaking research on flying personnel; Lecturer in Pathology, University of Queensland 1946; Nuffield Dominions Demonstrator in Physiology, University of Oxford 1947-50; Senior Research Fellow, Kanematsu Memorial Institute of Pathology, Sydney Hospital 1950-57; Foundation Professor in Physiology, University of Western Australia 1957-83, Honorary Research Fellow 1983-90. Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1982.
- Redgrave, T. G., 'Wilfred John Simmonds 1918-1990', Historical Records of Australian Science, 8 (4) (1991), 265-275. http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9910840265.htm. Details
- 'Simmonds, Wilfred John (1918-1990)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1475048. Details
- Redgrave, T. G., 'Wilfred John Simmonds 1918-1990', in Australian Academy of Science Biographical Memoirs, Australian Academy of Science, 2006, http://www.science.org.au/fellows/memoirs/simmonds.html. Details
- Courtice, F. C., 'Bede Morris, 1927-1988', Historical Records of Australian Science, 8 (1) (1989), 15-36. http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9890810015.htm. Details
- Wilfred John Simmonds
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 21 August 2013
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education