Biographical entry Hooke, Lionel George Alfred (1895 - 1974)
- 31 December 1895
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 17 February 1974
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Telegraphist and Business executive
Sir Lionel Hooke spent a total of sixty-one years with AWA Ltd. (Amalgamated Wireless Australasia). Forty-nine years of this was in management. In 1914 Hooke went to Antarctica to work as the radio operator on Shackleton's Antarctic expedition. He has written at least one scientific article on radio communications.
- Career position - Telegraphist at Marconi Co., UK
- 1913 - 1925
- Career position - Telegraphist? at AWA Ltd. (Amalgamated Wireless Australasia)
- 1914 - 1915
- Career position - Radio Operator on the Shackelton Antarctic expedition
- 1925 - 1945
- Career position - General Manager of AWA Ltd.
- 1945 - 1949
- Career position - Managing Director of AWA Ltd.
- Award - Knight Bachelor (Kt cr)
- 1962 - 1974
- Career position - Chairman of AWA Ltd.
- Davies, L.W., 'Hooke, Sir Lionel George Alfred (1895-1974), Broadcasting Pioneer, Radio Engineer and Businessman', in John Ritchie (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 14, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1996, pp. 485-486. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A140552b.htm. Details
- 'Hooke, Lionel George Alfred', in Physics in Australia to 1945, R.W. Home, with the assistance of Paula J. Needham, Australian Science Archives Project, June 1995, http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/bsparcs/physics/P001697p.htm. Details
- 'Hooke, Lionel George Alfred (1895-1974)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1476177. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 13 April 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education