Biographical entry Mattingley, Arthur Herbert Evelyn (1870 - 1950)
- 11 July 1870
North Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 2 October 1950
Prahran, Victoria, Australia
Arthur Mattingley was a pioneer of Australian bird photography and many of his shots appeared in the books of Robert Hall and Charles Barrett. He was a member of the Royal Australian Ornithologists' Union from its inception and was President 1913-1914.
Born North Melbourne, 11 July 1870. Died Prahran, Victoria, 2 October, 1950. Educated Scotch College. Tea-taster for Herbert Henty 1891; Commonwealth Customs Department, Melbourne 1891-ca 1933, retiring as officer-in-charge of overseas parcels post. Pioneer of Australian bird photography, with many of his photographs appearing in books by Robert Hall and Charles Barrett (qq.v.) and in The Emu and Victorian School Paper. Gold medal, International Photographic Exhibition, Dresden, Germany 1909. Led expeditions to the Bass Strait Islands 1908 (where he persuaded O.G. Perry to film seals and birds) and through central and north-eastern Australia, covering nearly 11,300 km, 1934. Corresponding member, Zoological Society of London 1907; honorary life member, Royal Society for the Protection of Birds 1909; corresponding fellow, American Ornithologists' Union 1921; foundation member, Royal Australasian Ornithologists' Union 1901, president 1913-14; a founder, Bird Observers' Club, Melbourne 1905, president 1928, life member 1935; a founder, Gould League of Bird Lovers of Victoria 1909, president 1933; a founder, Victorian Advisory Council of Flora and Fauna; honorary member, Field Naturalists Club of Victoria 1947; a founder, Wyperfeld National Park; member, committee of management, Wilson's Promontory National Park. Mount Mattingley, the highest point of Wyperfeld National Park in Victoria, is named after him.
Private hands (Mattingley, F.)
- Arthur Herbert Evelyn Mattingley - Records, 1870 - 1950; Private hands (Mattingley, F.). Details
- Kloot, Tess, 'Mattingley, Arthur Herbert Evelyn (1870-1950), Photographer and Ornithologist', in Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle (eds), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 10, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1986, pp. 449-450. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A100440b.htm. Details
- VIAF - Virtual International Authority File, OCLC, https://viaf.org/viaf/296041527. Details
- 'Mattingley, Arthur Herbert Evelyn (1870-1950)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1470969. Details
- Robin, Libby, The Flight of the Emu: a Hundred Years of Australian Ornithology 1901-2001, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 2001, 492 pp. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 26 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Birds Australia