Biographical entry Cilento, Raphael West (1893 - 1985)
- 2 December 1893
Jamestown, South Australia, Australia
- 14 April 1985
- Medical administrator and Public servant
(Sir) Raphael West Cilento graduated in medicine at the University of Adelaide and then specialized in tropical medicine. He was Director-General of Health and Medical Services in Queensland 1934-45 and Professor of Social and Tropical Medicine at the University of Queensland.
Born Jamestown, South Australia, 2 December 1893. Died 14 April, 1985. Educated University of Adelaide (MD, BS) and London School of Tropical Medicine (DRM and H). Australian Naval and Military Forces, New Guinea 1915-19; medical officer, Federated Malay States 1920-21; Medical Officer for Tropical Hygiene, Commonwealth Department of Health from 1921; Director, Australian Institute of Tropical Medicine, Townsville 1922-27; Director, Division of Tropical Hygiene and Chief Quarantine Officer, North East Division of Australia 1928-33; Director-General of Health and Medical Services Queensland 1934-45; Honorary Professor of Social and Tropical Medicine, University of Queensland 1937-45; U.N.R.R.A. Zone Director, British Zone in Germany and attached to British Army of the Rhine 1945-46; Director for Refugees and Displaced Persons, United Nations 1946-47; director, Division of Social Activities 1947-49; established project for relief of refugees from Arab-Israeli War 1948; returned to Australia 1951; part-time medical practice, Mooloolaba and wrote articles for journals and newspapers. President, Medical Board of Queensland 1939-45; president, Historical Society of Queensland on several occasions.
Fryer Library and Department of Special Collections, University of Queensland
- Raphael West Cilento - Records, 1913 - 1972, UQFL 44; Fryer Library and Department of Special Collections, University of Queensland. Details
- Fisher, Fedora Gould, Raphael Cilento, a Biography, University of Queensland Press, Brisbane, 1994, 369 pp. Details
- Gregory, Helen, Vivant Professores: Distinguished Members of the University of Queensland, 1910-1940, University of Queensland Library, St Lucia, 1987, 180 pp. Details
- Finnane, Mark, 'Cilento, Sir Raphael West (1893-1985), Medical Practitioner', in Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 17, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 2007, pp. 215-217. Details
- Cilento, Raphael, 'Sir Joseph Banks F.R.S. and the naming of the kangaroo', Notes and Records of the Royal Society, vol. 26, 1971, pp. 157-61. Details
- Smith, Alexander Cameron, 'Raphael Cilento's Empire: Diet, Health and Government Between Australia and the Colonial Pacific', Journal of Australian Studies, vol. 38, 2014, pp. 103-18. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 4 February 2010
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education