Biographical entry Beuzeville, Wilfred Alexander Watt de (1884 - 1954)
- 13 February 1884
Bombala, New South Wales, Australia
- 28 March 1954
Kiama, New South Wales, Australia
- Botanical collector and Forester
Wilfred Alexander W. de Beuzeville joined the New South Wales Department of Forestry in 1912, eventually becoming a divisional officer in 1938 and head of the forest ecology branch in 1947. He also collected for the Herbarium of New South Wales and wrote several works on forestry. From 1930 to 1933 his services were offered to the CSIR Division of Forest Products.
Born Bombala, New South Wales, 13 February 1884. Died Kiama, New South Wales, 28 March 1954. Grazier, Tumut 1900-12, Department of Forestry (Forestry Commission from 1916) 1912-48, forest assessor 1915-20, assistant forester, Tumbarumba 1920-25, senior forester, Tumut 1925-28, senior forester, Sydney 1928-38, divisional officer 1938-47, head, forest ecology branch 1947-48, work in Australia for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations on the selection of eucalypts suitable for planting in Ethiopia after his retirement. The snow gum Eucalyptus pauciflora spp. debeuzevillei was named after him.
- Award - Elected fellow of the Royal Society of New South Wales
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus dalrympleana Maiden. Beuzeville collected the type material
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus debeuzeville Maiden was named in honour of Beuzeville
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus badjensis Beuzev. & M.B.Welch. Beuzeville collected the type material
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus lindleyana DC. var. stenophylla Blakely. Beuzeville collected the type material
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus benthamii Maiden & Cambage var. dorrigoensis Blakely. Beuzeville collected the type material
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus crenulata Blakely & Beuzev.
Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales
- Wilfred Alexander Watt de Beuzeville - Records, 1808 - 1971, ML MSS 2174; Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales. Details
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- McCarthy, Gavan; Smith, Ailie; Moje, Christine; Rigby, Rebecca, The Study of Australian Eucalypts, eScholarship Research Centre, 2013, http://www.eoas.info/eucalypts/index.html. Details
- Carron, L.T., 'De Beuzeville, Wilfred Alexander Watt (1884-1954), Forester', in Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle (eds), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 8, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1981, pp. 265-266. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A080284b.htm. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 16 April 2014
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education