Biographical entry Borthwick, Thomas (1860 - 1924)
- 13 January 1860
- 11 March 1924
- Bacteriologist and Public health worker
Thomas Borthwick worked as a bacteriologist at the Adelaide Children's Hospital from 1894 and from 1899-1920 he was an examiner and Lecturer in Bacteriology, University of Adelaide. He was also Medical Officer of Health for the City of Adelaide 1900-1924.
Born Peebles, Scotland, 13 January 1860. Died Largs Bay, 11 March 1924. Educated University of Edinburgh (graduated in medicine 1881, MD 1891). South Africa 1882-83; arrived Adelaide 1883; practised at Kensington; medical officer of health for Kensington, Norwood, St Peters and Burnside 1885-91; course in practical sanitary science, Edinburgh, 1891; set up bacteriological laboratory at his home in Adelaide 1892; honorary bacteriologist, Adelaide Children's Hospital 1894 -ca 1911; studied the anti-toxin treatment of diphtheria, London 1895; lectured to nurses on hygiene and bacteriology; examiner in hygiene and lecturer in bacteriology, University of Adelaide 1899-1920; honorary bacteriologist, Adelaide Hospital 1902-11, consultant from 1911; part-time medical officer of health, city of Adelaide 1900-24; health officer, Metropolitan Dairies Board (later the Metropolitan County Board of Food and Drugs); consultant medical officer, Metropolitan Abattoirs Board from 1913. Brought about the Health Act of 1898, which established a Central Board of Health.
Adelaide City Council Archives
- Thomas Borthwick - Records, 1900 - 1924; Adelaide City Council Archives. Details
State Records of South Australia
- Thomas Borthwick - Records, 1894 - 1924; State Records of South Australia. Details
- Hicks, Neville; Leopold, Elisabeth, 'Borthwick, Thomas (1860-1924)', in Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle (eds), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 7, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1979, pp. 350-351. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A070356b.htm. Details
- Hayward, G. C., 'Thomas Borthwick', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 1924, no. 1, 1924, p. 352. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 2 March 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education