Biographical entry Campbell, John Fauna (1853 - 1938)
- 21 August 1853
Loch Leven, Kinross-shire, Scotland
- 25 January 1938
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Surveyor and Botanist
John Campbell joined the New South Wales Department of Lands in 1881 as a cadet draftsman, by 1884 was a licensed surveyor and in 1888 was posted to New England. He developed an intimate knowledge of the area and worked with leading botanists and geologists of the period.
Born Loch Leven, Kinross-shire, Scotland, 21 August 1853. Died Sydney, 25 January 1938. Apprenticed to an architect. New Zealand Public Works Department and the Southland Agricultural Company 1879-81; arrived Sydney 1881; cadet draftsman, Department of Lands; registered as a licensed surveyor 1884; register as a valuer 1894; Walcha district of the Armidale Land Board, pioneering cadastral survey of southern New England 1888-1903; Sydney 1903-05; crown representative and chairman of the Armidale Forest Board 1906-07; surveyor to the Closer Settlement Advisory Board 1909-13, advising on land valuation, improvements and subdivision in the Monaro and Riverina. Collected botanical specimens; made geological notes which were incorporated in T.W.E David's (q.v.) "Geological Map of the Commonwealth of Australia" (1931). President, metropolitan branch, Farmers and Settlers' Association 1915-17.
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus nova-anglica Deane & Maiden. Campbell was collector of the type material
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus michaeliana Blakely. Campbell was collector of the type material
Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales
- John Fauna Campbell - Records, 1879 - 1939, ML MSS 4133; Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales. Details
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- McCarthy, Gavan; Smith, Ailie; Moje, Christine; Rigby, Rebecca, The Study of Australian Eucalypts, eScholarship Research Centre, 2013, http://www.eoas.info/eucalypts/index.html. Details
- Atchison, John, 'Campbell, John Fauna (1853-1938)' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle, eds, vol. 7 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1979), p. 552. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A070556b.htm. Details
- Campbell, J. F., 'The First Decade of the AA Co', Journal of the Royal Australian Historical Society, 9 (1923). Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q21535394. Details
- VIAF - Virtual International Authority File, OCLC, https://viaf.org/viaf/279147972. Details
- 'Campbell, J F (1853-1938)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-593755. Details
- Hall, Norman, Botanists of the Eucalypts: short biographies of people who have named eucalypts, whose names have been given to species or who have collected type material (Melbourne: CSIRO, 1978), 101 pp. Details
McCarthy, G.J., Moje, C. & Walsh, N.
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 13 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education