Biographical entry Wittrick, William Henry (1922 - 1985)
- 29 October 1922
Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England
- 2 July 1985
William Wittrick taught aeronautical engineering at University of Sydney 1945-1964, being Lawrence Hargrave Professor of Aeronautical Engineering 1956-1964. He received the first PhD awarded by the University in 1950.
Born Huddersfield, Yorkshire, 29 October 1922. Died Birmingham, 2 July 1986. Educated Universities of Cambridge (BA 1943, MA 1947, ScD 1969) and Sydney (PhD 1950). Stress Office, Hawker Aircraft Co. Ltd 1942; Temporary demonstrator, Engineering Laboratory, Cambridge 1942-44; Scientific Officer, Royal Aircraft Establishment, Farnborough 1944-45; senior lecturer, Department of Aeronautics, University of Sydney 1945-54, reader 1954-56, Lawrence Hargrave Professor of Aeronautical Engineering 1956-64, Dean, Faculty of Engineering 1962-63; Professor of Structural Engineering, University of Birmingham 1964-69; Beale Professor of Civil Engineering University of Birmingham 1969-82 and Head, Department of Engineering 1969-80; Emeritus Professor from 1982. Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1958; Orville Wright Prize, Royal Aeronautical Society 1960; Lawrence Hargrave Medal, Australian Division, Royal Aeronautical Society 1961; George Taylor (of Australia) Prize, Royal Aeronautical Society 1972; Fellow, Royal Society 1980. President, Australian Division, Royal Aeronautical Society 1961-62; chairman, Australian Aeronautical Research Committee 1961-64.
- Roderick, J. W., 'William Henry Wittrick, 1922-1986', Historical Records of Australian Science, 7 (1) (1987), 123-132. http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9870710123.htm. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q18784073. Details
- 'Wittrick, William Henry (1922-1985)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1476114. Details
- Roderick, J. W., 'William Henry Wittrick 1922-1986', in Australian Academy of Science Biographical Memoirs, Australian Academy of Science, 2006, http://www.science.org.au/fellows/memoirs/wittrick.html. Details
- William Henry Wittrick
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 4 June 2010
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education