Biographical entry Paterson, Mervyn Silas (1925 - )
- 7 March 1925
Booleroo Centre, South Australia, Australia
Mervyn Paterson was Reader in Crystal Physics, Research School of Earth Sciences, Australian National University from 1956-1987 and Professor from 1987-1990. As Manager of Paterson Instruments he invented and developed a high-pressure, high-temperature gas-medium deformation apparatus, which has been sold to companies throughout the world.
Born Booleroo Centre, South Australia, 7 March 1925. Educated Universities of Adelaide (BE 1945) and Cambridge (PhD 1949, ScD 1968). Assistant Research Officer to Senior Scientific Officer, Aeronautical Research Laboratories, Melbourne 1947-53; Senior Research Fellow, Department of Geophysics and Geochemistry, Australian National University 1953-56, Reader 1956-87, Professor, Research School of Earth Sciences 1987-90, Visiting Fellow (Emeritus Professor) from 1991; Sometime Manager, Paterson Instruments P/L. Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1972; Honorary Fellow, Geological Society of America 1986.
Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- Smith, Ailie, Adolph Basser Library Manuscript Collection, eScholarship Research Centre, 2012, http://www.eoas.info/basser_browse.html. Details
- Paterson, M.S., 'Jaegar, John Conrad (1907-1979), Mathematical Physicist', in John Ritchie (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 14, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1996, pp. 551-552. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A140625b.htm. Details
- Paterson, M. S., 'John Conrad Jaeger 1907-1979', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 5, no. 3, 1982, pp. 64-88. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9820530064.htm. Details
- 'Paterson, Mervyn Silas - Ms 135', in Listing of Adolph Basser Library holdings, Australian Academy of Science, 1994, http://www.science.org.au/basser/manuscript-collection/ms135.html. Details
- Lambeck, Kurt, 'Interview with Professor Mervyn Paterson', in Interviews with Australian scientists, Australian Academy of Science, 2006, http://science.org.au/scientists/interviews/p/mp.html. Details
- 'Paterson, M S (1925-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1226339. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 23 April 2012
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education