Biographical entry North, Alfred John (1855 - 1917)
- 11 June 1855
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 6 May 1917
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Alfred John North was appointed to the Australian Museum in 1886 and was given a permanent position in 1891. He was noted for his book Nests and eggs of birds found breeding in Australia and Tasmania and was awarded honours by British and American ornithologists' unions.
Born Melbourne, 11 June 1855. Died Sydney, 6 May 1917. Educated Melbourne Grammar School. Apprentice jeweller, then jeweller with Henry Young, Melbourne; arranged the Dobroyde collection of eggs, Sydney, 1886; appointed temporarily to the Australian Museum, Sydney, December 1886, to arrange collection of birds' eggs, then to prepare a catalogue of the collections (published 1889); assistant to Curator (E.P. Ramsay, q.v.) , principally in the preparation of catalogues of the Australian birds in the Museum ca 1889-91; appointed permanently as Assistant in Ornithology 1891-1917. His best known work was Nests and Eggs of Birds Found Breeding in Australia and Tasmania. A founding member, Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria 1880; Corresponding Member, American Ornithologists' Union 1902; Colonial Member, British Ornithologists' Union 1903. Several genera, species and subspecies of birds were named after him. Keen collector of birds' eggs from his school days.
Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales
- Alfred John North - Records, 1900 - 1909, ML MSS 1173; Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales. Details
- Alfred John North - Records, 1919, Uncatalogued MSS SET 227; Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales. Details
- Baldwin Spencer - Records, 1880 - 1929, ML MSS 29; Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales. Details
- 'North, Alfred J (1855-1917)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-622177. Details
- Robin, Libby, The Flight of the Emu: a Hundred Years of Australian Ornithology 1901-2001, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 2001, 492 pp. Details
McCarthy, G.J. & Rosanne Walker
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 4 July 2012
- Foundation Supporter - Birds Australia