Biographical entry McIntyre, Archibald Keverall (1913 - 2002)
- 1 May 1913
- 20 July 2002
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
Archibald McIntyre, a grandson of Sir Edgeworth David (qv), was Professor of Physiology, Monash University, 1962-1978. His interests included the physiology of the nervous system and he made studies of reflexes, pathways in the spinal cord, both ascending and descending, and the plasticity of responses of the spinal cord. He was part of a group which discovered electro-receptors in the platypus bill and later in the echidna snout.
Educated University of Sydney (MB, BS). Resident Medical Officer, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney 1937; Research Fellowship, University of Sydney 1938-40; Royal Australian Air Force 1941-46; Research Fellowship, Rockefeller Institute, New York 1946-48; Department of Physiology, University of Otago, New Zealand 1949-61, Professor 1951-61; Professor of Physiology, Monash University 1962-78; retired to Tasmania. Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1963, Mueller Medal, Australian and New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science 1977. The Australian Physiological and Pharmacological Society has established the A K McIntyre Prize, awarded to members for significant contributions to Australian physiological and/or pharmacological science during their predoctoral and early postdoctoral years, in his honour.
- McIntyre, A. K., 'Walter Victor Macfarlane 1913-82', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 6, no. 2, 1985, pp. 247-265. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9850620247.htm. Details
- Porter, R., Proske, U. and Mark, R. F., 'Archibald Keverall McIntyre, 1913-2002', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 15, no. 1, 2004, pp. 77-94. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR03016.htm. Details
- Proske, Uwe, 'Obituary - Archibald Keverall McIntyre', Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 30, 2003, pp. 303-306. Details
- 'McIntyre, Archibald Keverall (1913-2002)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1474284. Details
- Redgrave, T. G., 'Wilfred John Simmonds 1918-1990', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 8, no. 4, 1991, pp. 265-275. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9910840265.htm. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 13 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education