Biographical entry Fitzgerald, William Vincent (1867? - 1929)
- 21 July 1867?
Mungana, Tasmania, Australia
- 6 August 1929
Daru River, New Guinea
- Botanical collector, Botanist and Prospector
William Fitzgerald was a member of the 1903 Western Australian Royal Commission on Forests, chairman of the State Forests Advisory Board 1904 and a member of the Kimberley Trigonometric Survey 1905. He died while exploring the Bismark Ranges in Papua. William Fitzgerald collected for Ferdinand Mueller and Joseph Maiden, and described several Eucalyptus specimen. He was also known through his excellent work on orchids.
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus diptera C.R.P.Andrews. Fitzgerald collected the type
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus accedens W.Fitzg.
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus pyriformis Turcz. var. elongata Maiden (= E. pyriformisTurcz. (1849)), Fitzgerald collected the type
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus houseana W.Fitzg. ex Maiden
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus collina W.Fitzg.
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus fitzgeraldii Blakely was named for Fitzgerald
Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science
- Australian Botanists - Biographies, MS 064; Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science. Details
National Herbarium, Melbourne
- William Vincent Fitzgerald - Records, 1892 - 1894, MSS M54; National Herbarium, Melbourne. Details
Western Australia Herbarium
- William Vincent Fitzgerald - Records, 1905 - 1906, 58(044) Fit; Western Australia Herbarium. Details
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- McCarthy, Gavan; Smith, Ailie; Moje, Christine; Rigby, Rebecca, The Study of Australian Eucalypts, eScholarship Research Centre, 2013, http://www.eoas.info/eucalypts/index.html. Details
- 'Fitzgerald, William Vincent (-19290806)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1476308. Details
- 'List of eucalypts published under this authority use abbreviation search 'W.Fitzg.'and genus 'Eucalyptus'', Australian Plant Name Index (APNI), Australian National Botanic Gardens, 2012, http://www.anbg.gov.au/cgi-bin/apni. Details
- Fagg, Murray, 'Fitzgerald, William Vincent (1867–1929)', Australian Plant Collectors and Illustrators, Council of Heads of Australian Herbaria (CHAH), 2010, https://www.anbg.gov.au/biography/fitzgerald-william.html. Details
- Hall, Norman, Botanists of the Eucalypts: short biographies of people who have named eucalypts, whose names have been given to species or who have collected type material, CSIRO, Melbourne, 1978, 101 pp. Details
McCarthy, G.J., Moje, C. & Walsh, N.
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 13 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education