Biographical entry Cummins, John Edward (Jack) (1902 - 1989)
- 21 October 1902
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
- 7 October 1989
Kew, Victoria, Australia
- Chemist and Science administrator
Jack Cummins' CSIR/O appointments included the directorships of the Scientific Liaison Bureau 1943-1945 and the International Atomic Energy Agency Vienna 1958-1960.
Born October 1902. Educated University of Western Australia (BSc) and University of Wisconsin (MSc). After graduating, worked as a school teacher and as a scientist in a turtle soup factory. Officer-in-charge, Chemical Investigations Division, WA Department of Forestry, 1924-27, Division of Forest Products, CSIR, 1927-1939, Director, Scientific Liaison Bureau, Melbourne, 19??-45, officer in charge, CSIR Information Section, 1945-48, first Head, Australian Scientific Liaison Bureau, London, 1949-??, Director of Scientific Liaison, Australian Embassy, Washington, 1955-58, Director, International Atomic Energy Agency, 1958-60, CSIRO Head Office 1960-62. Chief Executive Officer, Ian Clunies Ross Memorial Foundation, during retirement.
The University of Melbourne Archives
- Ian Clunies Ross Memorial Foundation - Records, 1942 - 1978, 78/96; The University of Melbourne Archives. Details
- Butcher, Barry W., 'Cummins, John Edward (Jack) (1902 - 1989), chemist and science administrator', in Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 17, 2007, pp. 281-282. Details
- 'Cummins, John Edward (1902-1989)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1470768. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_c.html. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 26 November 2010
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education