Biographical entry Catcheside, David Guthrie (1907 - 1994)
- 31 May 1907
- 2 June 1994
- Geneticist and Microbiologist
David Guthrie Catcheside was Professor of Genetics and Director of the Research School of Biological Sciences, Australian National University 1964 -72. He was Professor of Genetics, University of Adelaide 1952-55 and Professor of Microbiology at Birmingham University 1956-64.
Born London, England, 31 May 1907. Died Adelaide, 2 June 1994. Educated Universities of London (BSc, MSc, DSc) and Cambridge (MA). Assistant lecturer, Kings College, University of London 1931-33, lecturer 1933-36; Rockefeller International Fellow, California Institute of Technology 1936-37; lecturer, Cambridge University 1937-50, reader in cytogenetics 1950-51, fellow and lecturer, Trinity College Cambridge 1944-51; professor of genetics, University of Adelaide 1952-55; professor of microbiology, Birmingham University 1956-64; professor of genetics, Australian National University 1964-72, director, Research School of Biological Sciences 1967-72; emeritus professor 1972-94; research associate, Waite Agricultural Research Institute, University of Adelaide from 1976. Fellow, Royal Society 1951, Foundation Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1954.
Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- Smith, Ailie, Adolph Basser Library Manuscript Collection, eScholarship Research Centre, 2012, http://www.eoas.info/basser_browse.html. Details
- Fincham, J. R. S. and Jon, B., 'David Guthrie Catcheside 1907-1994', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 10, no. 4, 1995, pp. 393-407. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9951040393.htm. Details
- 'Catcheside, David Guthrie - Ms 91', in Listing of Adolph Basser Library holdings, Australian Academy of Science, 1994, http://www.science.org.au/basser/manuscript-collection/ms091.html. Details
- 'Catcheside, D G (1907-1994)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-565134. Details
- David Guthrie Catcheside
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 10 September 2004
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education