Biographical entry Bunce, Daniel (1813 - 1872)
- 18 March 1813
Daniel Bunce was Naturalist on Ludwig Leichhardt's second expedition in 1846-1847. He was also Curator of the Geelong Botanic Gardens, Victoria 1858-1872.
Born Hertfordshire, England, 1813. Died Geelong, 1872. Trained as a gardener and botanist; emigrated to Hobart Town 1835; opened Denmark Hill nursery, Launceston 1835-39; went to Port Phillip 1839; joined a party of Aboriginals on a journey to Western Port and made an intensive study of their spoken language; established a nursery at St Kilda; joined Leichhardt on his second attempt to cross Australia from east to west 1846; manager of a Bendigo mining company ca 1849-58; wrote on the flora of Bendigo for the Melbourne "Argus"; published "Language of the Aborigines" 1851; director, Geelong Botanical Gardens 1858-72. Wrote a number of books and articles on botany, gardening and travel.
He is commemorated by Panicum buncei, F. V. M.
- 1858 - 1872
- Career position - Curator, Geelong Botanic Gardens, Victoria
Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science
- Australian Botanists - Biographies, MS 064; Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science. Details
Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales
- Daniel Bunce - Records, 1846 - 1849, B387; Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales. Details
- Wrigley, J.; & Fagg, M., Eucalypts: A Celebration, Allen & Unwin, Crows Nest Australia, 2010, 344 pp. Details
- Holden, Roy H., 'Bunce, Daniel (1813-1872), botanist', in Douglas Pike (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 1, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1966, pp. 176-177. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A010161b.htm. Details
- Maiden, J.H., 'Records of Victorian Botanists', Victorian Naturalist, vol. 25, 1908, pp. 101-117. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 27 June 2012
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education