Biographical entry Bellingshausen, Faddei Faddeevich (Fabian) (1778 - 1852)
- Explorer and Naval officer
Fabian Bellingshausen explored the Antarctic 1820-1821, discovering Peter I Island and Alexander I Land, and exploring and mapping Macquarie Island. His charts of the Antarctic were so accurate that the British Admiralty used them until 1931.
Born Oesel, Gulf of Riga, 1778. Died Neva, 1852. Took part in the first Russian circumnavigation of the globe 1803-06; commanded the first Russian expedition to the Antarctic, with instructions to go as near to the South Pole as possible, 1819-21; Turkish campaign of 1828-29; military governor of Kronstadt from 1839.
- Bulkeley, Rip, Bellingshausen and the Russian Antarctic Expedition, 1819-21, Palgrave Macmillan, London, 2014, 312 pp. Details
- Hotimsky, C. M., 'Bellingshausen, Faddei (Fabian) Faddeevich (1778-1852)', in Douglas Pike (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 1, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1966, pp. 83-84. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A010081b.htm. Details
- Bulkeley, Rip, 'Bellingshausen's First Accounts of His Antarctic Voyage of 1819-1821', Polar Record, vol. 49, 2013, pp. 9-25. Details
- Iredale, T., 'Bellinghausen in Australia', Proceedings of the Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales, 1953, pp. 34-36. Details
- Tammiksaar, Erik and Kiik, Tarmo, 'Origins of the Russian Antarctic Expedition: 1819-1821', Polar Record, vol. 49, 2013, pp. 180-92. Details
- Tammiskaar, E., 'The Russian Antarctic Expedition under the command of Fabian Gottlieb von Bellingshausen and its reception in Russia and the world', Polar Record, vol. 52, no. 266, 2016, pp. 578-600. Details
- Gan, Irina, review of Bulkeley, Rip, Bellingshausen and the Russian Antarctic Expedition, 1819-21 (2014), Polar record, vol. 50, no. 1, 2015, pp. 218-20. Details
- 'Bellinsgauzen, Faddeĭ Faddeevich (1778-1852)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1110178. Details
- Branagan, David F., 'The Russian Expedition's Sydney Visit in 1820 and Some Forgotten Blue Mountains Names', Journal and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New South Wales, vol. 143, no. 1/2, 2010, pp. 1-28. Details
- Petrova, E. (ed.), Pavel Mikhailov 1786-1840: Voyages to the South Pole, Palace Editions, St Petersburg, 2012, 143 pp. Details
- Priestley, Rebecca, Dispatches from continent seven: an anthology of Antarctic science, Awa Press, Wellington, New Zealand, 2016, 422 pp. Details
McCarthy, G. J.
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 12 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education