Biographical entry Becker, Jack Ellerton (1904 - 1979)
- 4 October 1904
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
- 9 May 1979
- Business executive
Sir Jack Becker was a businessman and pastoralist, who gave generously to the Australian Academy of Science's building program. The Academy building has been named Becker House in his honour.
Born Adelaide, 4 October 1904. Died Bermuda, 10 May 1979. Kt 1962. Apprentice jeweller ca1922-25; founder, Adelaide School of Music ca 1923-42; Conn Musical Factory, Indiana 1926-27; Allans Ltd, a firm selling musical instruments and sheet music 1927-33; formed the Adelaide Drum and Fife Band 1928; several unsuccessful farming ventures; farmer, Ninety-Mile Desert 1943-early 1950s, where he initiated experiments by the Waite Agricultural Research Institute and Council for Scientific and Industrial Research which led to the identification of copper and molybenum deficiency; sheep and cattle stud near Adelaide 1948-52; stud properties in South Australia and New South Wales 1952-68; retired to Bermuda 1971. Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1961.
- Howell, P. A., 'Becker, Sir Jack Ellerton (1904-1979)', in John Ritchie (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 13, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1993, pp. 147-148. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A130171b.htm. Details
- Rogers, W. P., 'Jack Ellerton Becker 1904-1979', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 5, no. 3, 1982, pp. 92-107. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9820530092.htm. Details
- 'Becker, Jack Ellerton (1904-1979)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1474241. Details
- Rogers, W. P., 'Jack Ellerton Becker 1904-1979', in Australian Academy of Science Biographical Memoirs, Australian Academy of Science, 2006, http://www.science.org.au/fellows/memoirs/becker.html. Details
- Rees, A. L. G., 'Ian William Wark 1899-1985', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 6, no. 4, 1987, pp. 533-548. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9870640533.htm. Details
- Jack Ellerton Becker
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 12 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education