Biographical entry Beauglehole, Alexander Clifford (1920 - 2002)
- 26 August 1920
Gorae West, Victoria, Australia
- 19 January 2002
Alexander Beauglehole, a Victorian farmer, established a private herbarium of over 23,000 specimens collected during botanical surveys of various areas of Victoria. He also collected and studied bees, birds and bone deposits in caves.
Born Gorae West, near Portland, Victoria, 1920. Worked on and later took over his parents' mixed farm until 1968. Soon after leaving school he began a botanical survey of the Portland area, increasing the known flora in the area by over 300 to 770; discovered new species of orchids 1940s; collection and study of bees 1950s; survey of bone deposits in caves in south west Victoria 1950s and '60s; organised the collection of storm-washed birds from Discovery Bay 1951-63; studied non-vascular plants; extensive botanical trips to Central, North and West Australia 1960s; full scale botanical survey of the Grampians 1967, the first official financial recognition of his work and the first full scale research undertaken in Australia on the grid system; made comprehensive plant lists for several National Parks in Victoria; survey of the shires of Portland and Glenelg for the Land Conservation Council of Victoria ca 1970. Has had species of bees, wasps, marine algae, orchids, trigger plants and marsh-flowers named after him. Australian Natural History Medallion 1971.
Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science
- Alexander Clifford Beauglehole - Records, 1941 - 1969, MS 069; Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science. Details
Western Australia Herbarium
- Alexander Clifford Beauglehole - Records, 1974 - 1978, 58(047) Bea; Western Australia Herbarium. Details
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- Smith, Ailie, Adolph Basser Library Manuscript Collection, eScholarship Research Centre, 2012, http://www.eoas.info/basser_browse.html. Details
- 'Beauglehole, Alexander Clifford - Ms 69', in Listing of Adolph Basser Library holdings, Australian Academy of Science, 1994, http://www.science.org.au/basser/manuscript-collection/ms069.html. Details
- 'Beauglehole, A C (1920-2002)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-619219. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 12 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education