Supporter The Alfred Hospital Nurses League Inc.
- c/- The Alfred Nursing Archives
- The Alfred Hospital Commercial Road Prahran Vic 3181
- (03) 9276 3540
The Alfred Hospital Nurses League (AHNL) was formed as an association of nurses in 1918 to offer support, friendship and fraternity. In 1920 the League introduced the hospital crest in badge form to be presented to each graduate nurse. The League holds the motto ubi non esti mulier ibi ingemiscit aeger - 'Where there is not a woman, there the sick man groaneth'. In 1934 the League inaugurated the Louisa Mann Gold Medal awarded each year to the most outstanding nurse during her three years of training. It also established a bed in the private wing of the hospital for any sick, needy, registered nurse, with preference being given to Alfred graduates. Although the Alfred School of Nursing closed in 1992 the League still offers annual membership, newsletters and social gatherings to a membership base of around 800 graduate nurses and associate members (those who have worked at the Alfred for two years or more). The AHNL also administers the Alfred Nursing Archives.
The Australian Nursing History Project of the School of Postgraduate Nursing, University of Melbourne, has taken a leadership role in facilitating the development of historical information about nurses and nursing in Australia. They have assisted in the preparation of the entries listed below. For further information see: http://www.anmhp.unimelb.edu.au.