Biographical entry Blamey, Peter J.
Professor Peter Blamey was as an early member of Graeme Clark's research team that developed the bionic ear. His research interests included hearing, psychoacoustics, cochlear implants, hearing aids, and spoken language development in children with impaired hearing. He was a co-inventor on 25 patent families. Blamey was instrumental in establishing several companies, including Dynamic Hearing that provided advanced signal processing technologies in many millions of hearing aids globally. He also led the psychophysics research to validate a new retinal prosthesis for blindness at the Bionics Institute. Blamey later became chairman and co-owner of Blamey Saunders Hears, a company which aimed to make hearing aids more accessible to the public.
The University of Melbourne Archives
- Department of Otolaryngology - Bionic Ear Records, 1949 - 2000; The University of Melbourne Archives. Details
- Clark, G. M., in collaboration with Blamey, P. J. [et al.], The University of Melbourne-nucleus multi-electrode cochlear implant, Karger Basel, New York, 1987. Details
- Clark, Graeme Milbourne, Blamey, Peter. J., Brown, A. M., Busby, P. A., Dowell, R. C., Franz, B. K., Pyman, B. C., Shepherd, R. K., Tong, Y. C., Webb R. L., Hirshorn, M. S., Kuzma, J. A., Mecklenburg, D. J., Money, D. K., Patrick, J. F., Seligman, P. M., Nucleus Multi-electrode Cochlear Implant (Advances in Oto-Rhino-Laryngology), vol. 38, Basel: Karger, 1987. Details
- Blamey, P. J., Dooley, G. J., Parisi, E. S., Clark, G. M., 'Pitch comparisons of acoustically and electrically evoked auditory sensations', Hearing Research, vol. 99, 1996, pp. 139-50. Details
- Clark, G. M., Blamey, P. J., Busby, P. A., Dowell, R. C., Franz, B. K. - H. G., Musgrave, G. N., Nienhuys, T. G. W., Pyman, B. C., Roberts, S. A., Tong, Y. C., Well, R. L., Kuzma, J. A., Money, D. K., Patrick, J. F., Seligman, P. M., 'A multiple-electrode intracochlear implant for children', Archives of Otolarygology, vol. 113, 1987, pp. 825-8. Details
- Clark, G. M., Busby, P. A., Roberts, S. A., Dowell, R. C., Tong, Y. C., Blamey, P. J., Nienhuys, T. G. W., Mecklenburg, D. J., Well, R. J., Pyman, B. C., Franz, B. K. - H. G.,, 'Preliminary results for the Cochlear Corporation multi-electrode intracochlear implants on six prelingually deaf patients', American Journal of Otology, vol. 8, 1987, pp. 234-9. Details
- Pyman, B., Blamey, P., Lacy, P., Clark, G., Dowell, R., 'The development of speech perception in children using cochlear implants: Effects of etiologic factors and delayed milestones', American Journal of Otology, vol. 21, 2000, pp. 57-61. Details
- Surowiecki, V. N., Sarant, J. Z., Maruff, P., Blamey, P. J., Busby, P. A., Clarke, G. M., 'Cognitive processing in children using cochlear implants: the relationship between visual memory, attention and executive functions and developing language skills', Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 111, 2002, pp. 119-26. Details
- Tong, Y. C., Clark, G. M., Blamey, P. J., Busby, P. A., Dowell, R. C., 'Psychological studies for two multiple-channel cochlear implant patients', Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 71, 1982, pp. 153-60. Details
- Peter Blamey: Australia Hears
- Science in Public website. http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/
Created: 4 May 2016, Last modified: 20 October 2016