Biographical entry McKinnon, Gay E.
- Plant ecologist
Gay McKinnon studied eucalypt genetics at University of Tasmania, focusing particularly on the role of hybridisation in affecting genetic diversity. This included research on Tasmanian members of Eucalyptus subgenus Eucalyptus (the "monocalypts") and subgenus Symphyomyrtus (especially E. globulus and relatives). Her research highlighted a complicated history of gene exchange, especially regional sharing of chloroplast genomes between morphologically distinctive species.
Gay McKinnon completed her Bachelor of Science at the University of Queensland, and worked in the fields of biochemistry and molecular biology, before moving to Tasmania to undertake a PhD on eucalypts This was followed by subsequent positions as a Research Fellow. In 2014 she is pursuing a career as an illustrator of children's books.
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- McCarthy, Gavan; Smith, Ailie; Moje, Christine; Rigby, Rebecca, The Study of Australian Eucalypts, eScholarship Research Centre, 2013, http://www.eoas.info/eucalypts/index.html. Details
- McKinnon, GE; Jordan, GJ; Vaillancourt, RE; Steane, DA and Potts, BM, 'Glacial refugia and reticulate evolution: the case of the Tasmanian eucalypts.', Transactions of the Royal Society Series B Biological Sciences, 359 (1442) (2004), 275-284. Details
- McKinnon, GE; Potts, BM; Steane, DA and Vaillancourt, RE, 'Population and phylogenetic analysis of the cinnamoyl coA reductase gene in Eucalyptus globulus (Myrtaceae).', Australian Journal of Botany, 53 (8) (2005), 827-838. Details
- McKinnon, GE; Smith, JJ and Potts, BM, 'Recurrent nuclear DNA introgression accompanies chloroplast DNA exchange between two eucalypt species.', Molecular Ecology, 19 (7) (2010), 1367-1380. Details
- McKinnon, GE; Steane, DA; Potts, BM and Vaillancourt, RE, 'Incongruence between chloroplast and species phylogenies in eucalyptus subgenus monocalyptus (Myrtaceae)', American Journal of Botany, 86 (7) (1999), 1038-1046. Details
- McKinnon, GE; Vaillancourt, RE; Jackson, HD and Potts, BM, 'Chloroplast sharing in the Tasmanian Eucalypts.', Evolution, 55 (2001), 703-711. Details
- McKinnon, GE; Vaillancourt, RE; Steane, DA and Potts, BM, 'The rare silver gum, Eucalyptus cordata, is leaving its trace in the organellar gene pool of Eucalyptus globulus', Molecular Ecology, 13 (12) (2004), 3751-3762. Details
- McKinnon, GE; Vaillancourt, RE; Steane, DA and Potts, BM, 'An AFLP marker approach to lower-level systematics in Eucalyptus (Myrtaceae).', American Journal of Botany, 95 (3) (2008), 368-380. Details
- McKinnon, GE; Vaillancourt, RE; Tilyard, P and Potts, BM, 'Maternal inheritance of the chloroplast genome in Eucalyptus globulus and interspecific hybrids.', Genome, 44 (2001), 831-835. Details
- Nicolle, D; Potts, BM and McKinnon, GE, 'Eucalyptus cordata Subsp. quadrangulosa (Myrtaceae), a new taxon of restricted distribution from southern Tasmania.', Papers and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania, 142 (2) (2008), 71-78. Details
- Steane, DA; Nicolle, D; McKinnon, GE; Vaillancourt, RE and Potts, BM, 'Higher-level relationships among the eucalypts are resolved by ITS-sequence data', Australian Systematic Botany, 15 (2002), 49-62. Details
Created: 6 March 2014, Last modified: 28 April 2014