Corporate entry Kings Park and Botanic Garden (1872 - )
West Perth, Western Australia, Australia
- Conservation or Environment
- West Perth, Western Australia
Most of the area now designated as Kings Park and Botanic Garden was set aside for 'public purposes' in 1829 by Lieutenant Governor James Stirling and Surveyor General John Septimus Roe. An additional 175 hectares was added in 1872, and in 1890 more land was added again, bringing it up to its current size of 400 hectares.
Further development of the park under John Forrest, Premier of Western Australia, occurred between 1892 to 1895, when the park was named 'The Perth Park'. The name was changed in 1901 to 'Kings Park' to mark the accession of King Edward VII to the British throne.
The Botanic Garden opened in 1965. With a focus on local flora, it shows the phenomenal diversity of Western Australian wildflowers growing nowhere else on earth.
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- McCarthy, Gavan; Smith, Ailie; Moje, Christine; Rigby, Rebecca, The Study of Australian Eucalypts, eScholarship Research Centre, 2013, http://www.eoas.info/eucalypts/index.html. Details
- Erickson, Dorothy, A Joy Forever: the Story of Kings Park and Botanic Garden (West Perth : Botanic Gardens and Parks Authority, 2009), 360 pp. Details
- Cowley, K. J.; West, J. G, Resources of Australian Herbaria: a Guide to Herbaria Located in Australia (Canberra: Centre for Plant Biodiversity Research, 1999),  pp. Details
- Cowley, K. J.; West, J. G, Resources of Australian Herbaria [online], with Council of Heads of Australian Herbaria, Centre for Plant Biodiversity Research, 2002, http://www.anbg.gov.au/chah/resources/intro/index.html. Details
- Keighery, Greg, 'Grosvenor Selk - Kings Park Curator and Volunteer', Australian Systematic Botany Society Newsletter (2010), 6-8. Details
Created: 25 July 2012, Last modified: 27 February 2013
- Foundation and Current Supporter - Bjarne K Dahl Trust