Biographical entry Murray, Peter Keith (1946 - )
- 18 May 1946
- Immunoparasitologist, Parasitologist, Veterinary scientist and Veterinary surgeon
Dr Peter Keith Murray is an internationally renowned veterinary scientist. He has directed national animal health laboratories in England, Australia and the United States.
Murray began his career lecturing and researching trypanosomiasis, or sleeping sickness, in Kenya and Gambia.
Between 1976 and1986, Murray as Director of the Departments of Immunoparasitology and Experimental Pathology at the Merk, Sharp and Dohme Research in New Jersey, where he developed molecular vaccines for disease affecting poultry.
Murray was then appointed Head of the Division of Immunology and Pathology and the Institute for Animal Health, Pirbright Laboratory in the United Kingdom. In this position he conducted research exotic viruses including foot and mouth disease.
Between 1989 and 1998 Dr Murray was Head of the CSIRO Australian Animal Health Laboratory and Chairman of the Sub-Committee of Animal Health Laboratory Standards (SCAHLS). During this time he oversaw the landmark identification of the Hendra virus and the development of a focus on biological pest research. He also spearheaded the publication of Australian Standard Diagnostic Techniques, which is now the national laboratory standard.
In 1998 Murray became the Director, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Research Service (ARS), National Animal Disease Center (NADC), the largest animal health laboratory in the United States of America.
- Education - Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine & Surgery, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Glasgow
- 1969 - 1971
- Career position - Lecturer, University of Nairobi, School of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Medicine, Kabete, Kenya
- 1971 - 1974
- Career position - Research Fellow, University of Glasgow, School of Veterinary Medicine, Scotland
- Education - PhD in parasitology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Glasgow
- 1974 - 1976
- Career position - Research Fellow, Medical Research Council (UK) at the MRC Laboratories, Faraja, The Gambia, West Africa
- 1976 - 1979
- Career position - Research Fellow, Department of Animal Infections, Merck, Sharp & Dohme Research Laboratories, New Jersey, USA
- 1979 - 1982
- Career position - Associate Director, Department of Immunoparasitology, Merck, Sharp & Dohme Research Laboratories, New Jersey, USA
- 1982 - 1986
- Career position - Director, Departments of Immunoparasitology and Experimental Pathology, Merck, Sharp & Dohme Research Laboratories, New Jersey, USA
- 1986 - 1989
- Career position - Head, Division of Immunology and Pathology, Institute for Animal Health, Pirbright Laboratory, UK
- 1989 - 1998
- Career position - Deputy Chief, CSIRO Division of Animal Health
- 1989 - 1998
- Career position - Head, CSIRO Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL), Geelong
- 1998 -
- Career position - Director, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Research Service (ARS), National Animal Disease Center (NADC), USA
- Award - Doctor of Veterinary Science (Honoris Causa), University of Melbourne
- 'Murray, Peter Keith (19460518-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1491922. Details
- Ward, C., 'Keith Murray', in CSIROpedia, 2011, http://csiropedia.csiro.au/display/CSIROpedia/Murray%2C+Keith. Details
Created: 3 April 2012, Last modified: 11 April 2016