Biographical entry Holan, George (1930 - )
- 12 December 1930
- Chemist and Medical Research
George Holan is a chemist who made significant contributions to the agricultural industry when in the 1960s, while working for Monsanto, he developed Cycloprothrin, the first insecticide that was designed to effect only the target pest, while being non-toxic to the ecosystem into which it was introduced.
Holan joined the CSIRO Division of Applied Chemistry in 1965, where he became a Fellow in 1993. He retired in 1995 but continued to work as principal research scientist for the BRI and Stapharma until 2006.
In the 1970s Holan created pest-specific insect repellents, specifically to deter black fly and tse-tse fly, carriers of river blindness and sleeping sickness in the Ivory Coast and Kenya.
Holan has also initiated research and development medication to counteract many of society's most fatal viruses such as AIDS, HIV, Dengue Virus, Hepatitis B and C.
- Education - Diploma of Applied Chemistry from the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
- 1955 - 1960
- Career position - Research Chemist, Monsanto Co (AU) Ltd Melbourne
- Career position - Research Specialist in charge of New Products, Agrichemical and Pharmaceutical Group, Monsanto Chemicals (AU) Ltd
- 1961 - 1962
- Career position - Visiting Scientist, Central Research Laboratory of Monsanto Co St Louis, MO, USA
- Career position - Leader, Exploratory Research Group-Research Laboratories Monsanto (AU) Ltd Melbourne
- 1965 - 1966
- Career position - Senior Research Specialist, Monsanto (AU) Ltd Melbourne, Head New Products Research
- 1966 - 1979
- Career position - Senior Research Scientist, CSIRO Division of Applied Chemistry
- Education - Fellowship Diploma (by research), Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
- 1979 - 1993
- Career position - Chief Research Scientist, CSIRO Division of Applied Chemistry
- Education - Doctorate of Applied Science (DSc), RMIT University
- 1993 - c. 1996
- Career position - CSIRO Fellow, CSIRO Division of Applied Chemistry
- 1996 - 1997
- Career position - Principal Scientific Consultant in Medicinal Chemistry to the BRI
- 1996 - 1997
- Career position - CSIRO Post-Retirement Fellow
- 1997 - 2000
- Career position - Principal Research Scientist and Head of Chemistry in the BRI
- 2000 - 2006
- Career position - Senior Research Scientist, Starpharma Pty, Ltd
Created: 6 March 2012, Last modified: 21 August 2013