Biographical entry Phillips, Frank Hiram
FRACI, FIWSc, ARMTC
Frank Hiram Phillips was a member of the scientific staff of the CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation) Division of Forest Products for 31 years. He started there in 1956 after serving as a Chemical Assistant at the Central Laboratory of Australian Paper Manufacturers Ltd. (1948-1955).
Frank (Hiram) Phillips graduated from an Associate Diploma in Applied Chemistry in 1959. After the war, he found there was a big demand in the manufacturing industries for chemists and although he initially joined the Australian Paper Manufacturing industry for eight years, he then joined the CSIRO - in the division of forest products where he worked for a marathon 31 years. After retirement from the CSIRO he worked as a consultant for several years. He submitted a thesis based on 62 published scientific papers to RMIT University and was granted a senior doctorate Doctor of Applied Science in 1993. While at the CSIRO Frank conducted 62 scientific research papers which he then submitted to RMIT and he was able to convert these to a PhD.
Taken from http://www.alumni.rmit.edu.au/images/parade.pdf June 2006
- 1948 - 1955
- Career position - Chemical Assistant at the Central Laboratory of Australian Paper Manufacturers Ltd.
- 1956 - c. 1987
- Career position - Technical Assistant through to Principal Research Scientists at the CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation) Division of Forest Products
- Education - Associate Diploma in Applied Chemistry completed
- 1959 - 1975
- Award - Associate of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute
- Award - Fellow of the Institute of Wood Science (FIWSc)
- 1976 -
- Award - Fellow of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute (FRACI)
- 1982 - 1983
- Career position - President of the Technical Association of the Australian and New Zealand Pulp and Paper Industry (Appita)
- Award - Inaugural Oertel Nadebaum Distinguished Service Award received from Appita
- Education - Doctor of Applied Science received from the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
- 1997 -
- Award - Honorary Life Membership of Appita received
Created: 21 June 2006, Last modified: 5 February 2010