Biographical entry Holland, Julian P.
- Scientific instrument curator
Julian Holland worked as the curator of scientific instruments at the Macleay Museum, University of Sydney until the end of 2005. Julian has written on historic scientific instruments, the history of measurement and related topics.
- Holland, Julian, 'The Man behind the Clock Dials: A. L. Franklin's Ashfield Town Hall Clock', in PATTERN, Chris (ed.), Ashfield at Federation, Ashfield & District Historical Society, Sydney, 2001, pp. 319-350. Details
- Holland, Julian, 'Scientific Instruments for Sydney University in the 19th Century', in Tim Sherratt, Lisa Jooste and Rosanne Clayton (eds), Recovering Science: Strategies and Models for the Past, Present and Future: Proceedings of a Conference Held at the University of Melbourne, October 1992, Australian Science Archives Project, Canberra, 1995, pp. 83-86. Also available at http://members.optusnet.com.au/jph8524/JHsyduniinst.htm. Details
- Stanbury, Peter and Holland, Julian (eds), Mr Macleay's celebrated cabinet: the history of the Macleays and their museum, Macleay Museum, University of Sydney, Sydney, 1988, 170 pp. Details
- Bolton, H. C.; Holland, Julian; Williams, N. H., 'The Grimwade Milligram Chemical Balance: an Early Australian Attempt to Establish a Scientific Instrument Industry', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 9, no. 2, 1992, pp. 107-117. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9920920107.htm. Details
- Holland, Julian, 'Thomas Mitchell and the Origins of Australian Vertebrate Palaeontology', Journal and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New South Wales, vol. 125, 1992, pp. 103-106. Details
- Holland, Julian, 'Diminishing Circles: W.S. Macleay in Sydney, 1839-1865', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 11, no. 2, 1996, pp. 119-147. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9961120119.htm. Details
- Holland, Julian, 'Australian Exploration and the Introduction of the Aneroid Barometer', Bulletin of the Scientific Instrument Society, vol. 61, June 1999, 1999, pp. 24-26. Also available at http://members.optusnet.com.au/jph8524/JH-aneroid_barometer.htm#ab. Details
- Holland, Julian, 'Metrology in Retrospect: Our First Metrologist?', The Australian Metrologist, vol. 21, May, 2000, pp. 3-4. Also available at http://members.optusnet.com.au/jph8524/JHjames_blanch.htm. Details
- Holland, Julian, 'Metrology in Retrospect: a Testing Machine for Adelaide', The Australian Metrologist, no. 24, 2001, pp. 9-12. Details
- Holland, Julian, 'Science and Commerce: Studies in the Scientific Instrument Trade in Sydney, 1840-1900', MSciSoc thesis, University of Melbourne, 1991. Details
Created: 16 December 2005, Last modified: 30 January 2007