Biographical entry Wills, Howard Arthur (1906 - 1989)
- 16 May 1906
Boulder, Western Australia, Australia
- Aeronautical engineer
Howard Arthur Wills was Chief Defence Scientist 1968-1971. Earlier in his career he had been involved in the life of aircraft structures.
Born Boulder, Western Australia, 16 May 1906. OBE. Educated University of Western Australia (BE). Design Engineer, Fairey Aviation Co. England 1932-36; Senior Aeronautical Engineer, Department of Civil Aviation, Melbourne 1936-39; Head of Structures & Materials Division, CSIRO Aeronautical Research Laboratories 1940-51; Assistant Controller (Research & Development), Department of Supply 1951-55; Chief Executive (Atomic Weapons Tests) 1955-57, Deputy Controller (Trials & Instrumentation) 1958-63, Controller (Research & Development) 1964-66, Deputy Secretary (Research & Engineering) 1967-68; Chief Defence Scientist, Department of Defence 1968-71.
- 70 Years of Defence Science at the 'Bend, with Defence Science and Technology Organisation, Australian Government Department of Defence, http://www.dsto.defence.gov.au/events/5733/page/5736/. Details
- 'Wills, Howard Arthur (1906-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1475870. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_w.html. Details
- Brown, R. Hanbury; Minnett, Harry C; White, Fredrick W. G., 'Edward George Bowen 1911-1991', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 9, no. 2, 1992, pp. 151-166. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9920920151.htm. Details
Created: 25 May 2001, Last modified: 6 October 2011
- Foundation Supporter - ARC Learned Academies' Special Projects