Biographical entry Lysaght, John (1832 - 1895)
John Lysaght set up the Victoria Galvanized Iron & Wire Company in Melbourne in 1880, with branches in the other colonies. In 1899 this importing firm was replaced by Lysaght's Galvanized Iron Pty Ltd, with a nephew, Herbert Lysaght, as a director, Sydney manager and Queensland supervisor.
John also set up a wire netting factory which was run by two of his sons and which was eventually acquired by BHP.
- Walsh, G.P., 'Lysaght, Herbert Royse (1862-1940), manufacturer' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle, eds, vol. 10 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1986), p. 191. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A100184b.htm. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q18527243. Details
- 'Lysaght, John (1832-18951231)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1477132. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_l.html. Details
Created: 25 May 2001, Last modified: 25 May 2006
- Foundation Supporter - ARC Learned Academies' Special Projects