Biographical entry McDougall, Trevor John (1952 - )
- 1 July 1952
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Trevor John McDougall has been with CSIRO Oceanography since 1983 and is currently a Chief Research Scientist. He is the foremost world authority on many aspects of oceanic mixing. He has discovered four new oceanic mixing processes and has pioneered the concept of neutral surfaces along which strong lateral mixing occurs. Through his other discoveries, there has been a dramatic improvement in the ability of ocean models to simulate today's climate.
Born Adelaide, 1 July 1952. Educated Universities of Adelaide (BMechEng (hons) 1973) and Cambridge (PhD 1978) and Australian National University (Graduate Diploma in Economics 1982). Research Officer, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Adelaide 1973-74; Design Engineer, Public Buildings Department, South Australian Government 1974; Graduate Student, St John's College and the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, University of Cambridge 1974-78; Queen's Fellow in Marine Science, Research School of Earth Sciences, Australian National University 1978-80, Research Fellow 1980-83; Senior Research Scientist, CSIRO Division of Oceanography, Hobart 1983-87; CSIRO Overseas Research Fellowship, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution 1985; Principal Research Scientist, CSIRO Division of Oceanography, Hobart 1987-91; CSIRO Overseas Research Fellowship, School of Oceanography, University of Washington, Seattle 1989; Technology Program Manager, CSIRO Division of Oceanography, Hobart 1991-93, Senior Principal Research Scientist 1991-97, Chief Research Scientist 1997-date. Frederick White Prize, Australian Academy of Science 1988; David Rivett Medal, CSIRO Staff Association 1992; Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1997.
- Award - Royal Society of Tasmania Medal
- McDougall, Trevor, Church, John and Zillman, John, 'Vale Dr Angus McEwan FAA FTSE', Bulletin of the Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society, Supplement (2018), 8, https://view.joomag.com/bamos-vol-31-special-issue-october-2018-bulletin-vol-31-special-issue-01-2018/0218810001540846020?short. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q21166460. Details
- VIAF - Virtual International Authority File, OCLC, https://viaf.org/viaf/101576956. Details
- 'McDougall, Trevor John (1952-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1475679. Details
- McDougall, Trevor, 'Interview with Dr Shirley Jeffrey', in Interviews with Australian scientists, Australian Academy of Science, 27 June 2000, http://www.science.org.au/scientists/interviews/j/sj.html. Details
- McDougall, Trevor, 'Interview with Professor Stewart Turner', in Interviews with Australian scientists, Australian Academy of Science, 2004, http://www.science.org.au/scientists/interviews/t/st.html. Details
Created: 25 May 2001, Last modified: 25 May 2006
- Foundation Supporter - ARC Learned Academies' Special Projects