Biographical entry Wilson, Kenneth John (1948 - )
- 11 December 1948
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Kenneth Wilson has worked for the Bureau of Meteorology since 1969 and has significant research experience in tropical and midlatitude meteorology, particularly in tropical cyclones and cold frontal systems, boundary layer meteorology, and other aspects of physical meteorology.
Kenneth John Wilson joined the Bureau of Meteorology as a cadet meteorologist in 1969. From 1975 to 1977 he worked in the Research and Development Branch on aspects of physical meteorology, particularly applied to tropical cyclones, and in 1978-79 was a lecturer at the Bureau of Meteorology Training Centre. He returned to research in 1979 to work on sea-state modelling and from 1980 was involved as project manager and lead scientist in a cooperative research program with CSIRO, universities and the Department of Defence to study summer-time cold fronts (Senior Meteorologist, Bureau of Meteorology Research Centre, 1985-1986). In 1986 he joined Services Policy Branch and worked on medium and long-term plans for the development of the basic national meteorological infrastructure and in 1990 took up a position in Executive Branch with responsibility for the preparation of medium and long-term plans for the Bureau, preparation of the Bureau's annual report and input to a range of Budget-related documents. Ken completed an MBA at Monash University in 1993 and took up his position as Head of the Program Coordination and Information Section in December 1995.
- Education - Bachelor of Science with Honours (BSc (Hons)) completed at the University of Melbourne
- Education - Master of Business Administration (MBA) completed at Monash University
- 'Senior Appointment: Ken Wilson - Focus on the 'Big Picture'', Weather News, vol. 312, April 1996, 1996, pp. 48-49. Details
- 'Wilson, Kenneth John (1948-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1474903. Details
- Federation and Meteorology, 2001, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/fam/index_w.html. Details
Created: 10 May 2001, Last modified: 9 March 2018
- Foundation Supporter - National Council for the Centenary of Federation