Biographical entry Newman, Oliver Michael Griffiths (1941 - )
- 31 March 1941
- Metallurgist and Ornithologist
Oliver Newman joined EZ (now Pasminco) in 1971 and has been manager, Hydrometallurgical Processing, Pasminco Research Centre since 1993. He is also a keen amateur ornithologist who has been active in wader counts and banding in the Derwent Estuary and has been involved in a study of breeding biology of Pied Oystercatchers in South-east Tasmania 1977 to date.
Born United Kingdom, 31 March 1941. Educated Nottingham (BSc 1963, PhD 1967). Postdoctoral research, University of Queensland 1968-71; Senior Principal Research Officer, EZ (now Pasminco), Tasmania from 1971; Manager, Technical Improvement, Electrolytic Zinc Plant; Manager, Hydrometallurgical Processing, Pasminco Research Centre 1993 to date. Editor, Tasmanian Bird Report (Bird Observers' Association of Tasmania (BOAT)) 1971-77, president, BOAT 1975-77; Regional Organiser for Tasmania, first Atlas of Australian Birds 1977-81, Atlas Steering Committee for Second Atlas; RAOU Council 1982-88, 1999-date, Vice-President 1986-88, Chair, Research Committee 1995 to date.
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q7087699. Details
- 'Newman, Oliver Michael Griffiths (1941-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1476040. Details
- Robin, Libby, The Flight of the Emu: a Hundred Years of Australian Ornithology 1901-2001 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 2001), 492 pp. Details
Created: 23 March 2001, Last modified: 9 March 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Birds Australia