Biographical entry Hall, Robert (1867 - 1949)
- 19 October 1867
Lal Lal, Victoria, Australia
- 19 September 1949
New Norfolk, Tasmania, Australia
- Museum curator, Naturalist and Ornithologist
Robert Hall was curator of the Tasmanian Museum and Botanical Gardens 1908-1912, then an orchardist in various places in Tasmania. He was a keen collector and ornithologist. Parts of his private bird and egg collections are held at the Tasmanian Museum and the National Museum, Melbourne. His Siberian collection is held at Tring, England.
Born Lal Lal, near Ballarat, Victoria, 19 October 1867. Died New Norfolk, Tasmania, 19 September 1949. Educated Scotch College, Melbourne. Tea merchant and cartage contractor, Melbourne, 1890s; accompanied Norwegian expedition to Kerguelen Island in the Antarctic as naturalist 1897; bird-collecting trip to Houtman Abrolhos 1899; Queensland Museum 1901; expedition to Siberia, via Japan and Korea, with R.E. Trebilcock 1903; evening lectures to metropolitan teachers, Melbourne; curator, Tasmanian Museum and Botanical Gardens 1908-12; orchardist Bellerive, Cygnet and Sandy Bay; promoted various short-lived, eccentric schemes, including the production of fish meal and possum-farming for fur. Foundation member, Royal Australasian Ornithologists' Union 1901 and president 1912-13; corresponding member, Zoological Society of London 1903; corresponding member, American Ornithologists' Union; fellow, Linnean Society 1903; British Empire member, British Ornithologists' Union 1908. Wrote a number of books, including A Key to the Birds of Australia and Tasmania (1899), Some Useful Birds of Southern Australia (1907) and Australian Bird Maps (1922).
- Smith, Ann G., 'Hall, Robert (1867-1949)', in Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle (eds), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 9, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1983, p. 166. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A090158b.htm. Details
- 'Hall, Robert (1867-1949)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-635754. Details
- Robin, Libby, The Flight of the Emu: a Hundred Years of Australian Ornithology 1901-2001, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 2001, 492 pp. Details
Created: 2 February 2001, Last modified: 9 August 2012
- Foundation Supporter - Birds Australia