Biographical entry Barker, George Herbert (1880 - 1965)
- 21 January 1880
Hunter's Hill, New South Wales, Australia
- 25 June 1965
Windsor, Queensland, Australia
- Business executive and Ornithologist
George Herbert Barker was proprietor of Barkers Book Store in Brisbane, which he had originally started with his father in 1907, until his retirement in 1954. Because ornithology was one of his major interests the shop became a focal point for ornithology in Queensland. He was also a keen camper and organised several of the Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union campouts.
Born Hunter's Hill, New South Wales, 21 January 1880. Died Windsor, Queensland, 25 June 1965. Educated Fort Street Model School. Angus and Robertson's bookshop 1897-1907; started Barker's Book Store with his father 1907 and worked there till he retired in 1954. The bookshop became a focal point for ornithology in Queensland. Secretary, Queensland branch, Royal Australasian Ornithologists' Union 1922-56; foundation member (1924) and sometime president, Queensland Booksellers' Association; instrumental in forming Australian Booksellers' Association, president 1949-51; president, Queensland Naturalists' Club 1920-21, 1935-36 and 1947-48; foundation treasurer, Queensland National Parks Association 1930-46; president, Royal Australasian Ornithologists' Union 1940-41.
- Doolan, Ken, A Commanding Presence: the Life of G.H. Barker, Bookseller, Naturalist and Ornithologist, Ginninderra Press, Canberra, 2002, 206 pp. Details
- Zerner, M. E., 'Barker, George Herbert (1880--1965), Bookseller and Naturalist', in John Ritchie (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 13, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1993, p. 112. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A130135b.htm. Details
- 'In Memoriam: George Herbert Barker', Queensland Naturalist, vol. 18, no. 1/2, 1966, pp. 1-4. Details
- 'Barker, George Herbert (1880-1965)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1466970. Details
- Robin, Libby, The Flight of the Emu: a Hundred Years of Australian Ornithology 1901-2001, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 2001, 492 pp. Details
Created: 5 November 1999, Last modified: 25 July 2006
- Foundation Supporter - Birds Australia