Biographical entry Davies, Stephen John James Frank (1935 - )
- 26 April 1935
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Naturalist and Ornithologist
Stephen Davies worked for the Helena Valley Laboratories, CSIRO Division of Wildlife Research 1964-1984 and as Adjunct Professor, School of Environmental Biology, Curtin University of Technology from 1989. During his presidency of the Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union (RAOU) 1975-1978 an Institute of Field Ornithology and successful observatories at Eyre and Rotamah Island were established and a number of sub-groups such as the Raptor group formed; he later became Director of the RAOU 1984-1989.
Born Sydney, 26 April 1935. Educated University of Cambridge (BA, MA, PhD, ScD). CSIRO Wildlife Survey Section, Northern Territory 1956-59, CSIRO Wildlife Survey Section, Western Australia 1959-61; CSIRO Overseas Student Cambridge 1961-64; CSIRO, Division of Wildlife Research, Helena Valley Laboratories, Western Australia 1964-84, officer in charge 1969-83; Director, Royal Australasian Ornithologists' Union 1984-89; Adjunct Professor, School of Environmental Biology, Curtin University of Technology 1989-. Fellow, Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union 1980; Corresponding member, British Ornithologists Union. President, Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union 1975-78, Chairman, Research Committee 1975-84; President, Royal Society of Western Australia 1983-84; President, Western Australian Gould League 1983-84; Trustee, World Wildlife Fund (Australia) 1984-90; Chairman, Wiluna Emu Farm Committee of Management 1986-87; Chairman, Herdsman Lake Management Advisory Committee, Western Australia 1991-; Chairman, Research Committee, Emu Farmers Australia 1995-.
- Davies, S.J.J.F., 'Obituary. Dr Julian Ford', The Emu, vol. 87, no. 2, 1987, p. 132. Details
- Tyndale-Biscoe, C. H., Calaby, J. H. and Davies, S. J. J. F., 'Harold James Frith 1921-1982', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 10, no. 3, 1995, pp. 247-263. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9951030247.htm. Details
- 'Davies, Stephen John James Frank (1935-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1474275. Details
- Robin, Libby, The Flight of the Emu: a Hundred Years of Australian Ornithology 1901-2001, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 2001, 492 pp. Details
Created: 30 June 1997, Last modified: 2 March 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Birds Australia