Biographical entry Woodward, Oliver Holmes (1885 - 1966)
- 8 October 1885
Tenterfield, New South Wales, Australia
- 24 August 1966
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
- Mining engineer and Metallurgist
Oliver Holmes Woodward was general manager of North Broken Hill Ltd. from November 1934 to October 1947 and a member of the board of directors from December 1944 until after his retirement. He had previously been general metallurgist, plant superintendent and general superintendent at Broken Hill Associated Smelters, Port Pirie.
Born 8 October 1885. Died 24 August 1966. Military Cross 1916 and two bars 1918, CMG 1956. Educated School of Mines, Charters Towers (W.H. Browne medal for mining 1909, medal for metallurgy 1910). Mining experience in Irvinebank, North Queensland and Charters Towers, qualified as a mine-manager, Mount Morgan 1913, Papua (Laloki mine) 1913-14, Mount Morgan 1914, Mining Battalion, Australian Imperial Force 1915-19, Mount Morgan Gold Mining Co., general metallurgist, Broken Hill Associated Smelters, Port Pirie 1919-20, plant superintendent 1920-26, general superintendent 1926-34, general manager, North Broken Hill Ltd. 1934-47. Board of directors, North Broken Hill Ltd. from 1944, director, Broken Hill Associated Smelters and the associated Electrolytic Refining & Smelting Co. President, Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy 1940, president, Australian Mining and Metals Association 1952-54.
The University of Melbourne Archives
- McNicoll, Ronald, 'Woodward, Oliver Holmes (1885-1966), Mining Engineer, Metallurgist and Soldier', in John Ritchie (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 12, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1990, pp. 569-570. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A120638b.htm. Details
- 'Woodward, O H', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1016855. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_w.html. Details
Created: 30 June 1997, Last modified: 8 August 2006
- Foundation Supporter - ARC Learned Academies' Special Projects