Biographical entry Fenton, Arthur Geoffrey (1920 - 2008)
- 30 April 2008
- Alternative Names
- Fenton, Geoff
Geoff Fenton was a leading researcher in cosmic ray astronomy in Australia.
When he was a physics student at the University of Tasmania during World War II, he worked with Professor McAulay on the design of optical munitions.
- Education - Bachelor of Science (BSc), University of Tasmania
- 1944 - 1951
- Career position - Lecturer in Physics, University of Tasmania
- Education - Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), University of Birmingham
- 1951 - 1957
- Career position - Senior Lecturer in Physics, University of Tasmania
- 1957 -
- Career position - Reader in Physics, University of Tasmania
- Research - Detected first known X-ray transient using a detector aboard a rocket.
- c. 1971
- Award - Fellow (FAIP), Australian Institute of Physics
- Career event - Chair, 12th International Cosmic Ray Conference, Hobart
- 1979 - 1983
- Career position - Member, International Cosmic Ray Commission
- Life event - Retired
- 9 June 2003
- Award - Member of the Order of Australia (AM) For service to science, particularly in the field of cosmic radiation research, through significant technical developments, sustained planning and leadership.
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- The Giant's Eye: the Optical Munitions Exhibition, Australian Science Archives Project, 1997, http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/bsparcs/exhib/omp/omp.htm. Details
- George, Martin, 'Gentlemen of Science', Alumni news / The University of Tasmania., 34 (September 2008) (2008), 8-9. Details
- Humble, John and Duldig, Marc, 'Dr Arthur Geoffrey Fenton (1920-2008)', Australian Physics, 45 (3) (2008), 76, http://aip.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Australian%20Physics/Aust%20Phys%2045-3.pdf. Details
- 'Fenton, Geoff', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1473849. Details
- 'Physics Students', in The Giant's Eye: the Optical Munitions Exhibition, A Bright Sparcs Exhibition, Australian Science Archives Project, 1997, http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/bsparcs/exhib/omp/people/students.htm. Details
- Edwards, Paul, 'Antarctic explorer and physicist Dr Neville ("Nod") Parsons 1926 - 2017', Australian Physics, 55 (2) (2018), 67. http://aip.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Australian%20Physics/Aust%20Phys%2055-2.pdf. Details
- Humble, John and Duldig, Marc, '100 years of cosmic rays - an Australian perspective: part 2', Australian Physics, 50 (6) (2013), 195-9, http://aip.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Australian%20Physics/Aust%20Phys%2050-6.pdf. Details
Rosanne Walker, Ken McInnes
Created: 30 June 1997, Last modified: 12 November 2019