Biographical entry Campbell, Walter Scott (1844 - 1935)
- 11 June 1844
Maitland, New South Wales, Australia
- 25 July 1935
Vaucluse, New South Wales, Australia
- Public servant
Walter Scott Campbell began his career in 1862 as a draftsman in the Department of Lands and retired in 1908 as chief inspector of agriculture and travelling instructor in the Department of Mines and Agriculture. He established horse studs, a vineyard and several experimental farms and played a role in New South Wales becoming self-sufficient in wheat production in 1897.
Born Maitland, New South Wales, 11 June 1844. Died Vaucluse, New South Wales, 25 July 1935. Educated Sydney Grammar School. Draftsman, surveyor-general's branch, Department of Lands 1862-74; chief draftsman, Department of Mines 1874-93, studying appropriate locations for experimental farms 1886 and reporting on a suitable site for the Hawkesbury Agricultural College 1889; chief clerk, agricultural branch, Department of Mines and Agriculture 1893-1900, persuading William Farrer (q.v.) to join the department in 1898; chief inspector of agriculture and travelling instructor 1900-08; investigated agricultural prospects in the Northern Territory for the Commonwealth government 1911. Collected for Ferdinand von Mueller and William Woolls (q.q.v.). Fellow, Linnean Society of London 1901. President, Royal Australian Historical Society 1916. Wrote a paper on "The flour milling industry" for the Commonwealth royal commission on the wheat, flour and bread industries at the age of 91.
Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science
- King, C. J., 'Campbell, Walter Scott (1844-1935)', in Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle (eds), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 7, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1979, pp. 553-554. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A070558b.htm. Details
- Campbell, W.S., 'Recollections of "The Baron".', Victorian Naturalist, vol. 52, September, 1935, pp. 79-82. Details
- Campbell, Walter S., 'William James Farrer', Royal Australian Historical Society, vol. 19, 1933, pp. 269-285. Details
Created: 30 June 1997, Last modified: 26 July 2006