Biographical entry Bland, William (1789 - 1868)
William Bland conducted private medical practice in Sydney 1815-1868. He was a Member of Parliament 1843-1848 and 1849-1850.
Born London, 1789. Died 1868. Medical practitioner, politician, philanthropist and scientist. Trained in medicine, qualifying at an examination conducted by the Royal College of Surgeons as surgeon's mate (1809); promoted to rank of naval surgeon (1812). Mortally wounded his opponent in a duel; was transported to Sydney, arriving in 1814. Received pardon 1815. Entered private practice which he continued until his death in 1868. Helped to develop education in Sydney, active in parliamentary reform, member of Parliament 1843-48, 1849-50. First president of the Australian Medical Association (formed 1859).
- Lehane, Robert, Duelling Surgeon, Colonial Patriot: the Remarkable life of William Bland, Australian Scholarly Publishing, North Melbourne, 2011, 253 pp. Details
- Cobley, John, 'Bland, William (1789-1868)', in Douglas Pike (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 1, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1966, pp. 112-115. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A010107b.htm. Details
- Proust, A. J., 'William Bland (1789-1868)', in Linda Bryder and Derek Dow (eds), New Countries and Old Medicine: Proceedings of an International Conference on the History of Medicine and Health, Auckland, New Zealand, 1994, Pyramid Press, Auckland, 1994, pp. 168-172. Details
- Russell, Penny, '"A silly quarrel about a sore knee"? Defending honour in a professional dispute, Sydney 1846', Health and History, vol. 14, no. 2, 2012, pp. 46-73. Details
- Fennelly, Kathleen, review of Lehane, Robert, Duelling Surgeon, Colonial Patriot: the Remarkable life of William Bland (2011), Health and History, vol. 14, no. 2, 2012, pp. 191-3. Details
- Hyslop, Anthea, review of Lehane, Robert, Duelling Surgeon, Colonial Patriot: the Remarkable life of William Bland (2011), Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 24, 2013, pp. 172-3. Details
- Liston, Carol, review of Lehane, Robert, Duelling Surgeon, Colonial Patriot: the Remarkable life of William Bland (2011), Journal of the Royal Australian Historical Society, vol. 99, 2013, pp. 103-4. Details
- 'Bland, William (1789-1868)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-551964. Details
- Dunk, James, 'Authority and the treatment of the insane at Castle Hill Asylum, 1811-25', Health and History, vol. 19, no. 2, 2017, pp. 17-40. Details
- Hobbins, Peter, 'Tending the body politic: health governance, benevolence and betterment in Sydney, 1835-55', Health and History, vol. 19, no. 2, 2017, pp. 90-115. Details
Created: 30 June 1997, Last modified: 2 March 2018