Biographical entry Sharland, Michael (1899 - 1987)
- 14 June 1899
Bellerive, Tasmania, Australia
- 11 February 1987
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
- Naturalist, Journalist and Ornithologist
Michael Sharland was a journalist who had a keen interest in natural history, particularly birds. As well as publishing a number of books on birds and the natural history of Tasmania, he was a prize winning bird photographer.
Born Bellerive, Tasmania, 14 June 1899. Died Hobart, 11 February 1987. Educated Campbelltown Grammar School. Early journalistic training with The Mercury (Hobart), for which he wrote a nature column in The Illustrated Tasmanian Mail and, after The Mail ceased publication, in Saturday's Mercury, under the pen-name Peregrine for 60 years (ca 1921-71). Sydney Morning Herald staff 1927-40; The Argus (Melbourne) from 1929, correspondent for Reuters in London; Chief Photographer, Australian Paratroop Battalion, attached to Visual Education Section, Air Board during World War II; The Mercury 1945-47; Superintendent of Scenic Reserves, Lands Department, Hobart 1947-62; Honorary Ornithologist, Tasmanian Museum, Hobart. Fellow, Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales; President, Tasmanian Field Naturalists' Club 1945-46 and a life member; honorary life member and gold badge holder, Gould League of Bird Lovers, New South Wales; president, Royal Australasian Ornithologists' Union 1949-51; a founder, Bird Observers Association of Tasmania 1971 and a life member. Member, Tasmanian Fauna Board; member, Nomenclature Board. Published several books on birds and the natural history of Tasmania. Skilled photographer, particularly in black-and-white, winning two international awards for his bird photography. Books include Tasmanian Birds (1945), Stones of a Century (1952), Tasmanian Wild Life (1962) and Birds of the Sun (1966).
Archives Office of Tasmania
- Michael Sharland - Records, NS 1179; Archives Office of Tasmania. Details
- Roe, Michael, 'Sharland, Michael Stanley Reid (1899-1987), Naturalist, Conservationist, Journalist and Photographer', in Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 18, 2012, p. 409. Details
- 'Sharland, Michael (18990614-19870211)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-526093. Details
- Robin, Libby, The Flight of the Emu: a Hundred Years of Australian Ornithology 1901-2001, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 2001, 492 pp. Details
McCarthy, G.J. & Rosanne Walker
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 4 July 2012
- Foundation Supporter - Birds Australia