Biographical entry Evans, John William (1906 - 1990)
- 16 January 1906
John William Evans joined the Division of Economic Entomology, CSIR in 1928 as a junior entomologist. After a number of positions in Australia and England he became Director of the Australian Museum, Sydney 1955-66. He had a particular interest in Leafhoppers.
Born India, 16 January 1906. Educated Cambridge University (Jesus College) (Geology, Botany and Zoology 1923-26, ScD 1949); DSc, University of Tasmania. Came to Australia 1926 to work on sharks, but when the company that was to employ him went broke, he found a job in the head office of the new CSIR; observed Prickly Pear as its destruction by Cactoblastus moths began; Cawthron Institute, Nelson, New Zealand 1927 (under Directorship of R. J. Tillyard (qv), whose second daughter, Faith, he married in 1934); travelled with Tillyard to US and Europe 1928, ahead of Tillyard's appointment to direct the new division of CSIR Entomology; stayed in UK at Imperial Bureau of Entomology, Farnham Royal, working on Trichogramma, a wasp that attacks the eggs of the Codling moth; travelled to Australia 1929 via India, parents and the Bombay Natural Historical Society; arrived Canberra September 1929 to work at the new CSIR building (now CSIRO Entomology); began research on Thrips Melbourne 1930; continued work on thrips in Adelaide 1931 with James Davidson and H. G. Andrewartha (qqv) of Waite Institute; Hobart Entomologist (later Chief Biologist), Tasmanian Department of Agriculture 1935-44; Imperial Institute of Entomology, London 1945-48; Senior Principal Scientific Officer, Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, London 1948-54; Director, Australian Museum, Sydney 1955-66.
National Library of Australia Oral History Collection
- Evans, J. W., The Life and Work of Robin John Tillyard, 1881-1937, University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, 1963, 32 pp. Details
- Musgrave, A., Bibliography of Australian Entomology, 1775-1930, Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales., Sydney, 1932, 380 pp. Details
- Evans, J. W., 'Waterhouse, Gustavus Athol (1877-1950)', in John Ritchie (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 12, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1990, pp. 390-391. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A120439b.htm. Details
- 'Evans, J W (1906-1990)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-465938. Details
- Ashton, D. H.; Ducker, S. C., 'John Stewart Turner 1908-1991', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 9, no. 3, 1993, pp. 278-290. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9930930278.htm. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 15 September 2004
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education